Helping the Helpers Awareness and Education for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder for Frontline Professionals Scholarship Award will be presented to a student graduating from High School and is pursuing and enrolled in a recognized post-secondary education Institution in any one of the following Frontline Professional programs such as: Paramedicine, Police, Fire Fighter, Military, Nursing, Social Work or Correctional Officer.
The student must be enrolled on a full-time/part-time basis as defined by the Institution. The Scholarship Award is in the amount of $500.00.
The Scholarship process is under review and is not receiving applications for the 2020 academic year. Please check back to see if there are any changes to the review process.
The Scholarship Award will be offered to one student within the Strait Regional Center for Education each academic year on a rotational basis who is pursuing post-secondary education in one of the professions listed above.
It’s presented to a student who best discusses in a 1000 word essay the psychological stressors of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and the effects this mental health injury may have on their professional and personal lives.
Essay principles must include the following criteria:
- Define Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and identifying the signs and symptoms.
- Discuss PTSD relevance to Frontline Professionals roles and include impacts on the family.
- Reflect on your personal thoughts and insights gained on the research information attained while examining this issue.
- Please include stigma and barriers to accessing treatment.
- Consider and describe any methods you could use to increase awareness of PTSD as a workplace mental health injury.
- Use the most recent academic literature through journals, books, research articles with accurate referencing.
The essay will be reviewed by the Helping the Helpers Scholarship Committee and recipients are chosen and approved by the Helping the Helpers Scholarship Committee.
Students must provide a cover page with the following:
- Full Name
- Contact number
- Email address if applicable
- Name of the post-secondary education institution you are enrolled in
- The successful essay chosen becomes the property of Helping the Helpers.
- In the event you are the successful recipient and awarded the Scholarship Award, Helping the Helpers may publish your name and/or picture in any media format or forum.
The successful applicant will be contacted via mail receiving a Scholarship Recipient Letter advising of their Scholarship award along with a form, Scholarship Recipient Form, to have completed following completion of first (1st) semester and prior to commencing second (2nd) semester by the Registrar of their Institution who must confirm registration in one of the Frontline Professional programs such as: Paramedicine, Police, Fire Fighter, Military, Nursing, Social Work or Correctional Officer.
Your Privacy Information
We are aware of and wish to respect confidentiality of our applicants. After applications are reviewed, in the event you are the successful recipient and awarded the Scholarship Award, Helping the Helpers may publish your name and/or picture in any media format or forum.
Your information will be treated with utmost respect and will never be stored or provided to any third party.